07 February 2008

PR ethics

In class we were given a scenario that we worked for a computer company and we gave out temporary computers to journalist to test out and write about but they had to return it afterwards. However, one journalist has asked to keep her computer before she has released her review. The question was what we would do, let the journalist keep the computer or ask for it back. I wouldn’t agree to let the journalist keep the computer because for me it’s a bribe and if the other journalists found out it would ruin the company’s reputation. Although it would help build up a good relationship with this journalist for my computer company, it wouldn’t be fair since the other journalists had to return their computers. Plain and simple the journalist is hinting that she would write a good review, in return we would have to let her keep the computer.

I would base my decision on the fact that it would be morally wrong but also I would be afraid of the exposure from the media, that my computer company hands out bribes for good reviews.

In reading Public Relations-Critical Debates and Contemporary Practice by Jacquie L’Etang & Magda Pieczka they state companies use public relations as a technique or tool for enhancing reputation. It's hoped that PR practitioners do as Bentham states, “the greatest good for the greatest number”. So returning back to the computer scenario, I would be doing the greatest good for the company by not subjecting to bribes for just one journalist. Although practitioners should adhere to PR codes of ethnic I feel that in reality most practitioners do what’s in the best interest for a company’s reputation. Since PR practitioners are hired by companies to look after their reputation, I can see why practitioners sometimes don't follow the rule "the greatest good for the greatest number", but instead the greatest good for their company they are representing. For me, I believe PR is helping to build a company’s reputation and not necessarily that PR practitioners are trying to follow the best codes of ethics.


No comments: