19 November 2007

Where are all the men?

My first day of class in my postgraduate course of Public Communication and Public Relations, the question everyone seemed to be asking was... where are all the men? Out of 30 students in my MA program there are only 3 males. This had me thinking back to my undergraduate years where only 2% of my classmates were males.

I graduated from the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) with a BA in Communication. Upon researching I found that in my entering year there were 783 students in my Communication major and the majority were female. I knew all the males in my major by name because they were so few. Most of the males at UCSD were in the biology and engineering field. It sounds very stereotypical that men are studying to become doctors and engineers.

In discussing about stereotypes in my Masters course, one of the males said that men in PR have the stigma of being “gay” because PR is associated with females. Has PR become the next field considered “female based” like nursing and teaching? Is that why males do not enter into PR?

1 comment:

Ameesha said...

I yet remember what Trevor(or was it Pam?) who said that most men who were big players in the PR field atleast in the UK were men, so this does make me wonder is the future a more woman dominated PR field or will there be discrimination?